Thursday, October 01, 2009

60 days Beer Challenge

Many sayings have been written about beer: "breakfast of champions" and and array of others. Personally I just "like" beer like people "like" sodas. If I were to drink one or two a day of the low percentage beer it seems to do my digestive system good and keeps my stomach settled. (Even my last couple years of high school I was prescribed Elixir donnatol or something sounding like that..a tranquilizer..to take daily for my stomach).

However, since I've been getting complaints here and there (parental, spousal) I've decided to make the sacrifice and check myself into my own self induced rehab. As a means of testing to see if I'm "addicted" to beer and able to manage just one or two a day...I'm taking Papa G's challenge he gave me...go 60 days without any. Sounds reasonable to me...I know I could go 60 days without soda, in fact that is less than the usual time spread between cokes for me. Now I'm not adopting a teetotaler attitude because I do believe it to be a tasty and beneficial drink, but only if it can be on my terms not an addiction craving.

The last big outbreak with M-80 her "reasoning" for rage included at least in part, according to her, was she thought I had had a bit too much and she was scared, angry and in protection mode to prevent any alcohol clouded driving or parenting. While my driving and parenting were without influence...after some time thinking I've been able to "convict" myself of my contribution to the problem and have made my commitment to 60 days alcohol free.

Do I personally think I have a "drinking problem" ? No. But what would my answer be to that if I did? the same I would bet. So test it out Mr. Ger...if there is no problem then 60 days won't be much of a challenge. But since I had a beer with my supper last night...today will be day one. I can't really call it day one of sobriety because it is very rare that I pass the "legally intoxicated" point...but it is day one of my Beer challenge.

2 comments:

Marbella said...

Music to my ears. Since I saw you in a less than desirable state on the "last night" in question I think you had probably passed the safe level without realizing it. So proud of you my friend!!! I have always heard if you drink for a reason i.e. for relaxation, to loosen up, or anything else then it might be a sign of potential addiction.

GEM said...

Thanks for taking up my challenge. Like our ol' friend "Bill Doc" found out about a healthy glass of wine each evening. It was beneficial but after time it was addictive and he had to quit totally. Finish the challenge but be careful of the celebration my friend.