Thursday, October 15, 2009

Shower in the dark

Good morning :)
Short quick post since I'm headed out the door to pick up Little biscuit. Sleep patterns haven't formed a pattern yet, so it feels like the irregularity (new to me) leaves me both tired and rested at the same time. Curious feeling to be sure.

Walked up to the camp shower this morning. Opening the door, the lights are off as usual since seldom is there ever anybody in there. The Men's shower room is what long ago would have been called a two-Holer since it has two toilets enclosed in stalls and two separate showers. Thus far in my experience nobody else has been in there so it is nice to have such a big convenience facility totally to my self.

After adjusting the water temperature and setting the shampoo bottle in the usual corner and the soap box in the other corner, I went ahead and just turned out the lights. A peaceful experience indeed to shower in complete blindness, with hot water on a cold morning. It was completely pitch black dark.

By the time my hair was washed though, things were different...I could vaguely see the sink through the frosted shower door and could definitely see the light above and below the entry door. By the time the shower was complete it felt like there was a 4 watt night light on. My eyes had "adjusted" to the darkness.

Interesting experience. Reminded me of when I was welding 12 hour shifts at Lufkin Industries making Oil pumping units in a very loud factory. When the shift was over and I fired up my Suzuki motorcycle if it were not for the tach I wouldn't know it was running. The ride home was silent. The shower when I got home was silent, I couldn't hear the water at all. Now THAT was an odd experience but peaceful.

Strange how when we shut off a sense or two, a small touch of sensory deprivation, the world becomes even more peaceful and smaller somehow. Anyhow, Definitely need to be on the road now so have a great day one and all...and next time you get a chance to shower in complete darkness...it is a cool experience! :)

2 comments:

emc said...

I like to take baths in the dark. Then if you turn the shower on, you can pretend like your in a sub that has been torpedoed...

Marbella said...

those of us with claustrophobia cannot handle the total dark