Saturday, July 22, 2006

High-maintenance

I looked that term up in Wiki expecting to see a picture there of my visiting nephews, but they have avoided the papparazi somehow. A few days have passed since my last blog, the time has just vanished.

Most of the activities that I planned for them involved a mixture of adult supervision or at the very least...involvement as a trainer. They've both had time at the wheel of the old ford pickup, they've both emptied the .22 cal. revolver a time or two, they've both used the jig saw and the drills. Both helped burn trash, especially by adding firecrackers and other home made devices like cans half full of lighter fluid. We've played the Simpson version of the LIFE game, computer games, video games, watched videos, worked together to mount a dart board cabinet with dart board on the wall, and spent alot of time indoors shooting the soft pellet air pistol.

The 107 degree plus days we've been having have put a damper on some of their outdoor eagerness, but not much of it. If an activity involving me ends...then they both tend to scatter into seperate areas that are equally demanding of supervision...like the shop with all the power tools or the front room with all those cool boxes of stuff yet to be unpacked (many of which are waiting now to be re-packed). So needless to say its much easier to stay involved in a united activity. But on occasion, even sometimes "twice" in a 10 hour straight activity period I find a need to "go to the bathroom"...in that event they are likely to continue a united activity since I haven't really abandoned them and am returning.

Now once in the bathroom, I've actually at times just sit on the commode with the lid still unopened and still fully dressed, just sitting there enjoying the solitude. (I would guess most every mother has done that a time or two, but uncles? Well, probably most of MINE have..LOL). Other than that, I'm fully accompanied and usually being talked to.

The key word in all this is "visiting". If they were living here, they would have already learned the safety rules and training and by now would require only minor monitoring...but all these activities are new to them and therefore require more involvement. Well why don't I just pick lower maintenace activities and mix them into the lineup. With these two, "lower maintenance" translates..."boring". And they once again immediately return to the prowl.

I did let one of them use my laptop for the internet. I'm not sure yet what all has been altered on firewall or security settings but I have noticed for some reason my messenger program has a totally new look to it, as if an update has been "accepted" that I always refuse. LOL...I had forgotten that it isn't a good idea to turn a laptop over to a teenager for internet connection unless they know to not ok ANYTHING that will change what is.

Don't misread this and think that I am not enjoying the time, they are very good quality kids, and extremely interesting to get to know. Several hours from now I'm headed north to pick up my Grace Kelly for the weekend, and sometime this afternoon will be loading all the kids up to head for papa and grandma's place for a swim and a cookout. Then the boys will be staying there tonight and tomorrow, and a complete switch to "little girl" centered activities will begin here.

What about that long "to do list" I was going to be reviewing and prioritizing? It is still needing done...maybe next weekend. So if you are having a quiet moment sitting and reading blogs at the moment...take a moment to cherish and savor it. But if you're as busy interacting with some kids at the moment...cherish and savor it too, these opportunities pass by in a flash. And take time now and then to go to the bathroom, whether you need to "go" or not.

3 comments:

emc said...

LOL, see if you lived in a cave like you always planned you wouldn't have those problems. Which reminds me of a good story to tell nephews about uncles ...from the wisdom of Jack Handy...

"When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear."

And, btw, you know on windows you can setup "accounts" so people can use your system by logging into a different account and they won't have admin privileges; which means you can lock down the ability to install software, updates, changes to firewall settings, etc. For future reference, perhaps.

Marbella said...

You definitely started my day off with a "belly" shaking laughing spell. So severe that I lost my air (what little I had). I could never have described life with these pecious cubettes so accurately. Now add a few years to your age and you will see why you are such a Godsend for us, ROFL

GEM said...

WOW-I didn't know we were that busy when the grandkids visit, but after reflecting on your comments- seems that it is our life for many days in row. Thanks for the break. now you know why we put little ones to bed @ 10 pm, some at 8pm for their health as well as ours. Kids need to sleep and I noticed that they will go to sleep quickly, however you must be willing to get up early (8am) because they start awakening then.. I too have had projects for the kids but as time now catches up with me I find I do not have the energy to do the things I would like to. I pray that their dad wakes up to enjoy the few days they have left as kids.