Monday, July 03, 2006

EARLY A.M. ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER

Sleeping schedule is now completely out of whack. This morning I woke up at 3am and could NOT get back to sleep. So I came downstairs and decided to research how hand dug water wells are done, which proved very interesting...especially in how to line them on the way down. Then I ran upon something about California that really doesn't surprise me...



Woman, 82, Gets Ticket for Crossing The Street Too Slow LOS ANGELES - An 82-year-old woman received a $114 ticket for taking too long to cross a street. Mayvis Coyle said she began shuffling with her cane across Foothill Boulevard in the San Fernando Valley when the light was green, but was unable to make it to the other side before it turned red. She said the motorcycle officer who ticketed her on Feb. 15 told her she was obstructing traffic.

Then I started looking at things that happened on this date in history, thats usually good for a thought or two. Just a few of the things I noticed...Birthdates from July 3rd 1423 Louis XI king of France (1461-83).. 1962 Tom Cruise. Deaths which occurred on July 03:1969 Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones drowns to death at 25,.. 1971 Jim Morrison rocker (Doors), dies of heart failure in Paris... 1978 James Daly actor (Medical Center), dies at 59... 1981 Ross Martin actor (Mr Lucky, Wild Wild West), dies at 61... 1986 Rudy Vallee singer (Vagabond Dreams), dies at 84, .. 1988 Gabe Dell actor, dies at 68 of leukemia.. 1989 Andrei Gromyko Soviet diplomat, dies just short of his 80th birthday ...1989 Jim Backus actor (Magoo, Gilligan's Island), dies at 76 of pneumonia.

Well so much for that...one link mistakenly listed Lou Gehrig's speech as being on July 3rd so I did some research into that. Which actually even though it was on July 4th...is pretty interesting. At his retirement ceremony in Yankee Stadium, July 4, 1939. He was thirty-six years old and dying.

" I CONSIDER MYSELF THE LUCKIEST MAN ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH, I MIGHT HAVE BEEN GIVEN A BAD BREAK BUT I'VE GOT AN AWFUL LOT TO LIVE FOR"

Within 2 years, Gehrig died. You can hear a bit of his actual talk at this link...
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4620618

On a totally nonrelated note, in many miles on the road I get to see and hear of many driving related things... I read about an older man who was driving home from the store, when he called his wife on his new (first time to own one) cell phone."Dear, I'm calling you from my new cellphone! I'm driving home on I-80 right now." "Oh, be careful!" [i can just hear the love and worry in her voice] "I just heard on the news that there's some maniac driving the wrong way on I-80!"
"One maniac? There's hundreds of 'em!"

Hmmm.
Think I'll go build a bookcase for the front room.

2 comments:

emc said...

Maybe ya oughter apply that ADD in a high-tech career. :-)

Marbella said...

if they come over the news stating that it is a tan chevy astro van, our will is in the safe.