Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I want an extension on my earth visa.

Monday. Todays "done list"...Built one of those 25 compartment organizers from Home Depot, looks like its for shoes but its really just to help us get organized. Temporarily repaired the drain line for the house ac, its a weird size pipe I'll have to probably get my calipers out to get something that will fit on it! Watched a few bags of trash burn..(can't say I did the burning, never know nowadays if a "burn ban" is in effect...and I don't want to lose my right to take the fifth). Ran a much needed defrag on this computer, and then got caught up on windows updates. Bought a small sprinkler and put it to work watering some small parts of the yard that hadn't been hit yet. Normally I just let the rain do the watering, but lately it hasn't been doing too good of a job of that..and since I'm home for a short bit, might as well take care of it.

Finally finished up caulking in the window AC in the upstairs bedroom, (meant to paint the wood enclosure I made to install it but had to let the caulking set up a couple hours and sheesh, by then I moved on and forgot it.)Did some research on a job change we're contemplating. Oh wow, just remembered I've got some film developed at wal mart that I forgot to pick up. Caught a deer tick and sliced it in halves.

Did alot of research on lawn care...found out the ideal time to water is NOT after the sun goes down...the water stays on the blades of grass too long and encourages disease. The best time is more like 5-10am so it can soak in before it gets hot but then the sun can dry the blades..its the roots you want to water anyway. Sounds like its best to only water about once a week, and make it a pretty good soaking (set a tuna can or something out there and it should have an inch or two of water in it when done). They also said dull lawn mower blades are bad cause they rip the grass and make it weaker and more disease prone.

Then there was a bunch of stuff about testing the soil and determining what kind of fertilizers and how much...course this being pretty droughtlike here, not a good time to do anything heavy in that department. But I'm planning to get a little ammonia nitrate or something similar and put about 2# per 1000 sq. feet out...maybe in a couple days...going to go ahead and mix it up with the tick and bug poison and spread it out there early one morning then water it in with about 1/2 an inch of water right away. Well, Mrs. Beans didn't act all that interested either if you want someone to relate to!!, but as for me...man I came away from my learnin session powerfully excited...always enjoy learning stuff, especially useful stuff.

You know how some people just seem to find nothing but trouble, and some people seem to just have that midas touch where everything they touch turns into mufflers (or was that money?) ...Well, I've had a knack ALL my life of Finding the INTERESTING AND EXCITING stuff thats out there just waiting to be realized...and then unable to contain it, I've just poured it out (or further questions out) on whoever happened to be trapped in my environment. (Poor Aunt KJ). When staying at Grandma and Grandpa's for a couple weeks as a lad, being an early riser, I'd wake up about 530am or so and lay still in bed till I heard Grandma treading softly into the kitchen. I always thought it was so she wouldn't wake me..but didn't really comprehend that that wasn't just for my sake. By the top of every morning then and for the most part now...I was excited about the day and had a million things to talk about, I remember her facing the stove the whole time and saying "well I'll be" and "you don't say" and "uh huh, well I'll be"...alot, ALOT...and I'm not sure it always "fit" as a response.

There are just too many amazing things in life, I've only with great reluctance started accepting that there is no possible way I can have my visa here extended long enough to learn all that I truly yearn to know, do all that I have a great desire to do, figure out all that I want to figure out. My eyesight is steadily digressing, my hearing is really blocking out a bunch, my knees and feet are wearily worn and showing signs of early decay, my sense of smell is very numb, and it takes longer now to process thought and its more quickly forgotten...so YEAH, I've got to accept that there just is not enough time to soak it all up. So I've got to find my joy each day with all that I can reasonably soak up this day, and not expect to completely exhaust even any single subject/task *.

Today, another wonderful day, I live in awe of the marvels and mysteries and the Wisdom and Creativity of God. Poor Mrs. Beans...I think she's hiding upstairs wondering if I'm done sharing all the exciting lawn care stuff.

*(except of course...the annihilation of ticks)

3 comments:

emc said...

You always were a curious soul.

Anonymous said...

How exciting to be so eager for each day. I totally realize that feeling and enjoyed it myself but have to confess that the lack of marbles left has diminished my energy to be as excited as in previous times.Hopefully you will never lose that zeal.

emc said...

Take Fish Oil gang. I'm serious.

Read below the splats

Fish Oil Increases IQ and Slows Brain Aging

Fish Oil Reverses Brain Damage from Crystal Meth Addiction

Achieve optimum mental health by supplementing deficient brain chemicals instead of resorting to dangerous antidepressant drugs

Study