Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hearing voices?

While driving down a congested divided 4 lane of a California highway with the flow of traffic I had the unique experience of "hearing a voice" that "told me what to do".

The speed limit in those days being 55mph the flow of traffic usually 10 over that...I noticed a highway patrol getting on the highway from an on-ramp a ways back, but checking my speed...noticed I was running about 65, usually tolerated, but I backed off of it any how just in case. My attention returned to whatever thought it was in before the alert, I failed to notice the rapid increase of speed in the Highway Patrol car as he rapidly caught up with me and was in my blind spot beside me when a booming voice coming from "out of the air" said:

"Now that you have adjusted your speed from 65 to 55 please maintain that speed"

Then zoom, the black and white sails on by, slowing by vehicles far ahead no doubt to give them their own "verbal warnings".

As soon as the voice began I looked everywhere for it. It wasn't the radio and I couldn't see anybody in any mirror...for a moment there. With my first born very near her birthday, the shock of this moment was intense.

That is the only experience I can recall like this one. So when someone talks about "hearing voices" at least there is a reference I can refer to as an empathic point of connection to dig deeper into their experiences.

That memory strides by every once in awhile in my mind.

Today started with a strong smell that is still just beyond my grasp...a chemical like smell but the only memory that flashed by with the smell involved a carnival.
Ahh..Phantosmia has grabbed me again. Did read a an article and a blog or two this time though about phantosmia as described in the experience of others. Mayo medical clinic talks of it as "olfactory hallucinations" . That is an interesting way to word it. Think that is why that old hearing voices memory came by...to help me understand.

Though there are those in some strains of thought that connect the cause of phantosmia as being the presence of another spirit, or even an attempt to channel through the person. Though that explanation chose too stubborn an old soul if they be trying to crash in here. "You don't want trapped in this one buddy, its a rocky ride". Makes me chuckle at the thought.

1 comment:

emc said...

That may be how you get your hunches, you may have clairalience, clairvoyance's smelly cousin. Perhaps a kindred soul.