Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Urgent or Important?

My oldest brother has patiently continued to give me advice through the years, some of it I've taken and regretted, some I've ignored and regretted, and some I've actually done and appreciated. Actually all of it has been appreciated. But the latest challenge he has tasked me with is separating the urgent (ie...appointments, things you MUST do today) from the important (ie..things that really matter towards getting your life where you want it).

One project per month gets to occupy the important spot...and it must be stayed on till completed. The "urgent" becomes relegated to a more minimal position (quite the opposite of conventional thinking) and needs to occupy as little of the day as possible while the primary focus is on the "important".

Now with my hearing loss, and especially with my ex (after becoming physically violent a second time which I assured her and all who were concerned about me would be the last) leaving with my hearing aids, cash and favorite statuettes...along with disabling the phone I could hear best out of...it is entirely possible some of his advice has been misheard. Be that as it may, what I "heard" seemed to me to be extremely accurate advice.

He also warned me that it required vigilance or diligence because the natural flow is to persist on the urgent until too tired to do the important and thus another day gone.

While I might make excuses for myself since I've had a tremendous amount of "urgent" this past few days in trying to move, change passwords, close accounts, open accounts, update records with new phone numbers, get a new phone, contact people to advise of my new number and a literal "hard and long as you can go" pace...since the whole uproar took place Saturday night and this is being written at the end of Wednesday...I still am aware that his "warning" is happening full blown at breakneck speed and even though the "urgent" list has been quite successfully mastered thus far, the "important" project (finishing the book I'm writing) has gone with very minuscule achievement.

Thursday though...my remaining urgent list is looking very small and Friday even smaller. So I'm really hopeful I will make myself get back to the important and plug away a good number of hours into it.

At Ma's reminder that I needed to update my profile photo here and another site, Pops took some pics and I've updated that. As I settle into what I hope is a long and successful bachelor life in a camper, and enjoy finishing some books and continue my employment applications...I'm anxious to really succeed at least this next day and the the day after that, etc..at devoting time and effort to the "important" with as much tenacity as I used in attacking the "urgent".

With any luck things will flow so well that I'll be back here in a few days to report great progress on my project. Thanks bro. don't give up, I'm a coming, I'm a coming...