Tuesday, August 15, 2006

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

Sorry, I can't...and not even Verizon can help. When I took my hearing test today I was very pleased thinking I heard just about everything just fine...evidently unaware completely of all I didn't hear. When I got out of that chamber I was happy, and told the lady "I think I did pretty good this time didn't I"...she grimmaced...ouch. Apparently there was quite a bit I was supposed to hear that I did not. The scale goes something like this...Normal range or no impairment = 0 dB to 20 dB , Mild loss = 20 dB to 40 dB, Moderate loss = 40 dB to 60 dB, Severe loss = 60 dB to 80 dB, Profound loss = 80 dB or more. I was well within the "severe" range.

That kinda bummed me out, especially when I learned my "good ear" has now almost caught up with my bad ear...so the verdict is in...bilateral, progressive, asymmetrical, sensorineural hearing loss that involves a reduction in sound level, (ability to hear faint sounds), but also affects speech understanding, or ability to hear clearly. Sensorineural hearing loss cannot be medically or surgically corrected. It is a permanent loss.

So now 2 hearing aids are in the works...and the "good news" is, there is a good chance they will help. Though there is a very real chance it will just be turning the radio volume up, but it will still be a little off station, meaning it could mostly just be annoying amplified. Oh well.

At least I did learn something about that constant high pitched noise I hear even out in my silent moonlit pasture...most everybody hears that internally generated "noise" if they are in a soundproof room or totally quiet place...its just that they don't hear it 'ALL THE TIME' because they hear all the other sounds of life that drown it out...and the reason I hear it all the time is ...I'm not hearing the sounds that drown it out. Interesting.

It does make for a most unusual and perplexing world. Most of the time I 'hear' the speaker but misinterpret (e.g. 'pass me the spoon' may be heard as 'pass me the broom'). Just a minute ago I was asked "can you have a pet in the sand sun Sue"...i thought for awhile trying to comprehend...and finally asked for a clarification..."can you have a pet in the Sims 2" ? Kinda explains why lately people have been giving me very odd looks when I respond to their simple questions.

5 comments:

emc said...

I know part of where you're coming from, I hear those strange sentences alot ;-)

BTW, hope you are wearing ear-plugs in the truck. This strange chart shows trucks in the same db levels as jackhammers (100db) with damage to hearing after 2 hours exposure per day.

GEM said...

I have been told that I have selective hearing. You can't be acused of that anymore tho. Have you ever noticed how people with a hearing loss always goes around smiling and nodding their heads a lot. Now ya know- Everyone always wondered what you are up to or what you just did. Now we know your secret. Now all we gotta say is " turn up the volumn on your hearing aide" when you sit there with that silly opossum eating grin on your face.

Anonymous said...

http://gary.youaremighty.com/

Ger said...

ROFL...THANKS Adam..that was the perfect blend of "inspirational" and "hilarious"

Yeah..GEM...why hearing impaired people sit around with a smile? Well, you wouldn't believe what we THINK was said...LOL, sometimes when I can't believe it..I don't ask for a clarification, cause its just too funny to ruin.

And alas K..the US Department of Transportation does not allow the ears to be blocked/covered...they want us to hear the screams. In fact if I can't bluff my way by the hearing part of the physical they'll require me to "amplify" while I'm out there. Course it doesn't specify the hearing aid has to be "turned on".

Anonymous said...

wait 'til gk gets a little older, and she'll start messin' with ya'. *grins evily* we used to do it to my mom all the time. 'course now I can't hear very well either. a lot of times i don't ask people to repeat themselves either, i just smile and nod.