Thursday, August 17, 2006

ASKING THE RIGHT QUESTION

My grandpa was a fascinating man. He was a federal trapper, though that wasn't his official title that is alot of what he did. I learned alot from the man about life and you name it. He taught me to drive before there were even 2 digits in my age. There are alot of stories I can tell...since most every summer I got a chance to spend time with my grandparents and would go out with grandpa most everyday on the job.

One event I'm thinking of I don't remember how old I was, but I would guess under 5 or thereabouts. Grandpa had caught quite a few chipmunks (live) and was taking them to some kind of big event (whether it was a state fair or zoo I don't recall). During a picnic on the way, they got loose and wasted no time getting as far away as possible.
When grandpa discovered it, he was furious, evidently the door was left open on the cage and though chipmunks are surprisingly intelligent, opening that cage door was beyond their ability. I was the lead suspect, and seeing the anger in his stearn face there was no way I had the courage it took to fess up...so i lied.

Which didn't help at all since it was obvious nobody else did it, but still they wanted to know for certain what had happened. A little later, sitting off to myself on a little grassy mound, my wise aunt came and sat beside me and visited awhile. Then almost as if sharing in a secret she leaned down and said "when you opened that door did they RUN?"..and before I knew it a spark of enthusiasm came over me, and the excitement of the event was too much to hold in, as I blurted out..."BOY DID THEY RUN!!!"

2 comments:

Marbella said...

I can still see the smile he kept trying to hide while telling this story.

emc said...

ROFL