Sunday, November 15, 2009

AFK

Internet slang for "Away From Keyboard", a nifty little acronym usually found in chat boxes to indicate the computer is still on, but any reply may be awhile because the operator is away from the computer. (Or else is just needing to focus on something and doesn't have a chance to visit at the moment).

This past few weeks I've largely been "AFK". And it has puzzled me to the point of deciding to launch an introspective research probe. Taking into consideration that it has been this way with me often throughout the history of my blogging or chatting..these periods of cybersilence, the research indicates it isn't a recent event that brought this on, though recent events even including a virus, have played a part.

Periods of my life are like this, where the umph just drops out and I kind of find my balance trying to concentrate on completion of simple household chores. (Like to take a shower...I've got a checklist in my head i focus on...got shampoo? got soap? got towel? got keys? Empty pockets? All water and fires or heaters shut off?

Maybe it is the culmination of all the circumstances and events and decisions and indecisions and uncertainties, and some desire to have a dream and truly reach for it. It kind of feels like life has been a wash in many aspects...you know the old story, the kids disown ya, deal with it, you really screwed up alot of stuff in your relationship choices and actions, tied to an area to be near family but needing a new town where people aren't talking bad about you behind your back.

Maybe it is just all the thinking about the job searches, the managing of money, building the VA case, getting loose ends tied up on half a dozen WAY overdue projects. I've got 3 weeks of mail setting beside me that I have only half heartedly leafed through to see if there was anything "serious". Just so many decisions to make and not wanting to make any decisions, but that not being a luxury..it then becomes a cumbersome necessity..which tends to drive me into the fog.

That 10 day meditation I thought my friend, mentor and older brother completely nuts for even considering...I find myself giving serious thought to..LOL. I had always joked about being ADD but when I took a couple of psych exam online tests and really read how "serious" it can impact, I'm going to be talking to the doctor about that. I have always hated the confused and frustrated expressions on peoples faces when visiting with them and I switch subjects so fast and sudden and constantly it gets confusing..and I know it, but can't seem to stop it.

Today I would say I'm content. Feeling better, getting the place caught up and cleaned up gradually. Feeling like the intensity surge may be coming back when i get the power surges for several weeks catching up and blazing a dozen new projects into existence...

Writers block. AFK. ADD. Whatever you want to call it..I'm fine, all is well, my brain is just sorting out other issues in life right now so the creative, talkative, expressive me is AFK.
Who knows though...may be posting like crazy all week.

Love the Lord your God with "All your heart", "all your soul", "all your mind", and love all other humans with the love and compassion and mercy you would want for yourself. As my oldest daughter once told me when I was struggling to get a lesson together for presentation at church she suggested "God is in Heaven, and now go home".

4 comments:

Marbella said...

The things you described on your "to do" list sounds like what my Mom used to say "such is life" or as Nike says "Just do it".

If you need a new start, then move wherever you need to go. We just want a happy and well gerbeans. Although, usually if people don't address their problems, they just take them to the new location.

Sometimes, depression if not addressed often results in becoming immobile with just the simplest of chores becoming a major undertaking. With alcohol being one of the biggest depressants there is, one might check to see if that is something that could be omitted from their life if indeed it is there in the first place.

We cannot control what other people think of us nor can we change others only ourselves. Over the years, there have been many people who have stuck knives deep into my heart. Yet, I bear them no ill will but love them and forgive them as God has done for me.

Ger said...

Well...hmmm, I seem to have missed my mark with the words...the thoughts posted were from a content state of mind, just gearing up to once again tunnel thru the "such is life" stack after a period of quiet, quality, studious introspective deep breath.

I do see how parts of that are very similar to symptoms of "depression" but I think my periods of social withdraw are construed of different material though the outside paint may appear the same..lol.

Meant to say..all is well, getting back my old vigor, got alot of catching up to do, but not feeling real talkative.

emc said...

I admire your indomitable spirit. You've faced lots of hardships and yet you have this incredibly resilient optimism. You may indeed live to 139(?) I don't often advocate medication, other than recreationally, but I hope you investigate the ADD angle; I think it's changed lives for people who just can't harness their focus (a growing population.) Try it at least to the point where you see what's possible, and what advantage focus confers, if it's amenable to your lifestyle. Then you may more readily see that particular benefit of meditation.

It may be necessary to experience what's possible for your brain to do. You've already got the smarts and creativity, but implementation requires focus. Following commitments to their end, without being deterred. Imagine having that in your toolbox :-)

Marbella said...

I am amazed at your resilency and your usually joyful spirit is such a blessing to me.