Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Anybody you view with contempt?

And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: 'God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.'I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.'

"But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, the sinner! "I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Ever feel too unworthy to pray? Looks like the real problem is when a person feels worthy to be heard in Heaven. Ever view others with contempt and don't even want to be in their presence because they are too unworthy? There is alot to be learned in these few verses of Luke 18.

1 comment:

emc said...

Contempt is an interesting emotion. In the book "Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking", which I'm working my way through at the moment (I think I'm thinking too much about it is why it's taking so long ;-)... anyway, he discusses a pretty accurate theory of John Gottman's on how to predict which couples will stay married.

Gottman asserts there are 4 major destructive emotions that are responsible for tearing down a relationship: defensiveness, stonewalling, criticism and contempt. Contempt he considers the most potent in predicting a meltdown. And, of course, emotions can be viral in family units.