Friday, February 02, 2007

WHY ISN'T IT DONE?

Thoughts that keep coming back like a bad dream....I keep thinking about the upper cabinet sitting in the kitchen by the fridge, still needing hung. I know thats one of those things shes looking forward to me doing and will be very thankful for, (so yeah i feel pressured to do it, guilty for putting it off).

With the cabinet already bought and already taken out of the box and brought into the kitchen, the next step is actually not overwhelming...roughly mark a measure on the wall the width on the cabinet, locate the two studs within that width...mark the wall with a straight edge the two lines showing the center of the studs...high to low, above and below where the cabinet will be...

Probably have to get out my tape measure, pencils and maybe framing square and stud sensor (if i can get the stupid thing to tell the truth...it has trouble doing that on simple walls, just going thru the sheetrock...and this one is tougher with 3/4" wood on top of the sheetrock on top of the studs). And bring in the stepstool...and do it.

"The next step"..is That easy. I believed that any project, once divided into baby steps, is virtually completed and certainly should require very little motivation... since each step is manageable and not excessively demanding. In fact that being done, it should make the task pull up enthusiasm, almost excitement, completion is simple or at least very doable...but definitely nothing to dread or procrastinate without cause.

So why is it still undone? Why is it still undone? Self Analysis time? Sure...I need to digin and really evaluate this...

...anything to put off going in there and hanging that cabinet.

4 comments:

emc said...

LOL, if ya figure that out, let me know! I have a number of projects all broken down and organized into easy steps with the "next step" inserted in my little todo list thingie. And yet...

I think it may boil down to a certain stubborn resistance when something comes down to just having to do it or not (not think about or plan it out) that a little gremlin kicks in from childhood say'in "I don't hafta!"

Even if we ourselves set it up, the power to NOT do stuff sometimes seems like an inalienable right and a perverse satisfaction. Kinda like when a two year old learns how to say "NO!" to start marking his boundaries. Or try'in too.

I've only found two things that work. One thing that definitely doesn't is logic. That little unmotivator don't care. And sometimes that's a good thing, to be able to say "doesn't matter, need not be." But back to the two things.

One is emotion. It likes to feel comfortable, or even GOOD if it can get it. So if not doing starts to generate enough fear and worry (taxes?) then it will finally do it (usually followed by a bunch of stuff after that which it will sullenly refuse for revenge.)

So one thing that usually works is just to idly daydream about how *good* it will feel to have that done. Not the doing part. Just picturing it all finished and sitting there thinking, wow, this is great. As if it's already done. If you can stay with this for about 5 minutes, you pretty much got it licked.

The second is just to do something even smaller and then quit. Like just go get the tape measure and materials and then do something else. By intentionally doing something else, right after that, the unconscious goes "what the heck?!" and you may find yourself pulled back into the task without much effort.

And that's the only things in the bottom of my toolkit for that gremlin, if you have any others lemme know :-)

Ger said...

Well...I was heading in to work on it, but when I stopped and read your keen insight, decided I probably should take this time to evaluate the nuances and dynamics for awhile first. Thanks for the stimulating thought on the matter.

Marbella said...

I like what Nike said, "Just Do It" sounds so simple hee hee

GEM said...

As you get older, forgetfulness kicks in with a vengence- This is where the old saying "OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND" truly has meaning. As long as are distracted we seem to forget the original thought or goal. For instance- my shower has been plugged up for a week and the only time I remember to unstop it is when I am in it. I know exactly what to do, however just as Soon as I leave it, it is "OUT OF MIND AGAIN" unti the next night. I think I will get up now and go unstop it, but first I will get another cup of coffey and read another blog.