Friday, February 02, 2007

Relationships can be enjoyed EXAMPLE #214

Trying to figure out where shes's going to put that armload of boxes she labors towards the door with I have to ask ..."Are you sitting those boxes out there for me to burn?" The reply was sudden, a Startlingly abrubt "No!" , not as if it was shouted, more like it was seriously determined..an unspoken but clear.. "you are not to burn these, these are going to recycling bin".

Interesting the abruptness (determined)...i guess really into this recycling thing and so independently carrying it out from instigation to collection to transporting, completing the process provides her a good boost in self image for some reason, so I chuckle silently to myself.

I find enjoyment in seeing that she is having good satisfaction from it all. As I picture her loading it all up and stretching out the little net thing she bought for the purpose, and then see her at the wheel as the smoky old truck rattles up the driveway as she heads for the bins 6-8 minutes away.

Silently I think about it being easier on me since burning cardboard boxes ya gotta stick around and knock down the floaters ...or at least keep an eye on them...so its ok that shes not putting them into my to-be-burned pile....

I think about how to respond to her emphatic response in a way to aknowledge that her strong wish is heard and will be complied with/granted/honored. And at the same time, will explain that my laughing is in no way a bad thing. It is just one of those uniqueties of hers that tickles me that she gets so protective of her labors in this recycling effort.

What is interesting is that its not about the merits of recycling ecology or pollution wise..in the way she thinks. Its about "wasted usefulness". By the fact that somebody is willing to do something with it, shes happy to help them, happy to provide something for them, so in that way she was able to find a "useful" purpose for it instead of giving it up to be burned in the trash. Thats reserved for things that went beyond her finding some other use for.

So later, even if I am outside burning the trash, and time and opportunity to burn those boxes presents itself...I wouldn't dare. That would take away from a project start to finish she enjoys and esteems being a part of. Don't take that away, it wouldn't be "helping"...besides all that it would seem logical if it made her mad, if she saw it as a flagrant lack of respect for her right to have room to do her things her way.

1 comment:

Marbella said...

recycling is commendable, we try to save a few trees (for little towheaded boys to climb up) by taking our newspapers for recycling.