Tuesday, December 12, 2006

What I like about Getting Older

Got any memories from time spent with loved ones who have already passed on? Precious memories have been added to my treasure chest thru the years. Looking at a family tree is even more enhanced when there are little storys and snapshots that reveal the ancestors character or heart. Its very enjoyable to recall moments spent with loved ones, or to hear others tell stories that really "capture" the personality.

Experiences in life, ...the good, the bad, the ugly...all help me to understand more deeply things people have said or done. Life gets richer and richer as days go by. I hear people talking and sometimes can really "feel" what they are "feeling". Sometimes I can see what they are enduring or enjoying and from experience...I can know what other doors are opening or closing in their lives.

Thats what I enjoy about Bible study or hearing sermons...as my experiences in life increase I can realize more and more the heart of God in things in the Word. Like when God said "these people honor me with their lips but their heart is far from me". Can't you feel the pain in that? There was formality of love, an outward definition, but the heart just not in it...and He saw that, felt that. Understanding the heart of loved ones is special, but understanding the heart of God is rich beyond measure.

So as I age, as I live, love, triumph, suffer, enjoy, fail, succeed, hurt, laugh...thru my life and thru sharing in the lives of others...I learn. And when I think on things God has spoken, I understand more empathatically who He is. How much He loves us. How awesome His forgiveness is.

Thats what great about getting old. Thats what makes all the aches and pains and putupwiths of age worth enduring. Its more time to know God, its more time to know people. Experiences, feelings, and reflections on things said but with greater and greater insight. I would want my epitath to simply read "Lover of God". But if I live long enough, hopefully that would be obvious in my personality and not just in my thoughts and heart.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One might even say the "the heart of others" is the "heart of God". Personally, I have long stopped thinking of God as a seperate entity sitting removed on a heavenly throne but find divinity in every kind act or loving smile.

Ger said...

When God created mankind in His own image...He didn't mean that the moustache matched...but neither did He mean the Creator IS the Creation. But "divinity" can be seen everywhere...Evidences of His craftsmanship, and elements of our nature that are in His likeness.

Lets hope the created doesn't ever forget that God existed before, apart from, and entirely without the existence of man. Yet the throned, removed, distant image of God often taught in formal manmade religions truly truly misses the mark. (But the original root of the separation goes all the way back to man hiding from God in the garden of Eden).

Whats truly interesting though is to take what we learn and experience in our lives then go BACK and read the Bible...this time not looking for tenets of a religion...but instead humbly relating to and understanding the "emotions" and "personality" of the Creator.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure he has a mustache.

Ger said...

ROFL...wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Marbella said...

Heaven help us all!! What in this world did I ever do to deserve such wonderful cubs. Such empathy, compassion, wit and too many other adjectives to list. I thank God for all of them.