Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Watched Pot Never Boils.

Reading an old journal note from Nov. 29, 1999 I found an entry that brought back a memory...

"Since I don't have a video or digital camera, here is a word-picture of my kids. I'm standing in the kitchen watching this as it happens.

Just as I was starting to feel like there was hope for my 'determined to be non-domestic' daughter...My 15 yr old daughter was trying her hand at cooking, and relishing the authority that comes with being the cook...catching her 11 year old brother lifting the lid, looking in the pan...she starts chastising him out of there, saying she is waiting for the water to boil
so she can add her rice,.

(she even swings the long wooden spoon at him, it was a classic scene)..he looks at her real puzzled and says...it IS boiling...

She said with that aire of expertise... 'no its not! its just bubbling, its been doing THAT for 10 minutes.'

"life at home"

Back to square one with little Betty Crocker

1 comment:

emc said...

Reminds of a "word picture" with little tao-y when he was 2. Mom gave him 3 pieces of gum to give to each of his brothers. Upon accounting later it was determined tao-y had a big wad in his mouth, but one brother was missing his distribution. When questioned why he didn't give ztuffy his gum, tao-y responded, literally:

"I didn't think it was necessary."

I think it was the 4 syllable word that threw us and got him out of trouble.