Friday, January 19, 2007

I FIRED 2 PEOPLE TODAY THAT WERE REBELLING

Ever since many years ago, experience has taught me to never get mad at your job and quit both in the same day. If you want to quit, fine, but do it tomorrow or a week from now...but make sure its not a spur of the minute rash decision by just making it "your policy" to never quit the same day you decide to. That has worked well for me. You can adapt it if you have the need.

But then again, honestly assess things. After over 3 years with our current employer our liason with the company was quite surprised when I told him today it was time to wrap things up...we were done. After itemizing a few things that were contributing issues to the decision, there was one item that kept appearing on my work list from time to time...that
never was something I wanted to do or enjoyed doing. So I just spoke plainly, non-contentiously....

"I've made up my mind that today was the last time I was going to do that. There is no money in it and it sucks. I'm pretty sure that this is NOT a position the company can tolerate...which is fine, perfectly understandable. Thats not up to me, but I've made a personal decision in my career/life/interests and that it just isn't going to be a part of my job anymore".

So I assured him that we would finish our current assignments, but that after this weekend we needed to come into the office and wrap this up.

There are quite a few companies we're considering at the moment, all with different variations of pluses and minuses...and having spent alot of time this past few months identifying what plus/minus was important to us, matching up with the situation that comes the closest is where my focus will be over the next several days...But in the meantime, we've got alot of work to do this weekend.

We left Albany New York earlier this afternoon, we'll be visiting Carlisle Pennsylvania this evening, North Vernon Indiana in the morning, then another town nearby, then on to Cinnaminson New Jersey for Sunday early I hope, and then McCook Illinois for Monday morning. Then stop in at our second "home" up in Iowa and "it is finished".

Though I'm tempted to take a couple months off, things are progressed enough in the decision making progress, we'll probably not be off very long at all...but life will be one step closer to being more to our liking! It's long been my belief that if life isn't like you want it to be, fix it.

5 comments:

GEM said...

I always heard that "if it aint broke, dont fix it". well sounds like your situtation is broken. We wish ya the best and change sometimes is good. ttfn

emc said...

Most excellent! What about that Canadian gig? That sounded pretty sweet! ;-)

I thought that saying was, "if it ain't broke, break it." That might explain some things...

emc said...

When you stop by the office to make it official. An Idear...

Anonymous said...

ROFL...QUITE AN IDEA THERE K! We've already got our next gig lined up, so doubt we'll get much of a break, BUT, if it plays out...we'll get almost 3 days a week at home..thats almost too good to believe...I can finally have a garden!!! And after reading this to Mrs. Beans she asked who the 2 people were I fired...US..LOL.

Anonymous said...

good luck! =)